Sun 386i (WAS: RE: [rescue] Interactive Unix?)

Corda Albert J DLVA rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 11 11:36:35 CST 2001

Yep, it was 4.0.(2 or 3?) but it was unrelated to the
"normal" version of SunOS... I seem to remember the
386i SunOS port was developed in a different part of the
country by a different development team, so there was
no real corrispondence between the version numbers
for the 2 platforms.  It came in two flavors, one
with a silver nametag, and a slightly faster version
with a gold nametag.  There were rumors about a
486i prototype that Sun built a small number of but
never marketed.  There were also a few hacks floating
around the net at one time that allowed you to
upgrade the critter to a 486 cpu using an evergreen
cpu module, but I seem to remember it had some
booting issues... All in all, it was a pretty neat
machine to play with, and a unique melding of both
Unix and Dos. Definitely one for the history books!

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com