[rescue] Interactive Unix?

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 10 15:00:36 CST 2001

"Greg A. Woods" wrote:

> I don't know who ended up with ISC after Eastman Kodak, if indeed it's
> not still a subsiduary of Kodak.  Perhaps you're thinking of Ron
> Lachman's work with Sun to develop NFS while he was operating Lachman
> Associates.  Or Praxsys.  Lachman also was cofounder of Praxsys,
> develpers of the WABI stuff, and they sold Praxsys to Sun in about 1992.

IIRC Sun did a deal with Kodak to take ISC off their hands for an
undisclosed amount.

Then as they were doing the maintenance, they pushed heavily to upgrade
the installed base to Solaris/x86.

ISC was pretty antiquated by 96-97, which was when I came across it.

You had to load from QIC tape, it had IDE drive limitations (I think the
max partition size was 512MB under IDE), SCSI device limitations
(supported the Adaptec 1542 series but later cards weren't supported),
etc. In comparison of course, Linux and FreeBSD looked a lot better.

It was such a pain to install that the company I was working for dropped
support, just because of the install hassles.

./patrick