[rescue] Spaceballs.

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 17:58:10 CST 2001

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 05:14:14PM -0500, Big Endian wrote:
> DIN 8, DO NOT PLUG THAT INTO A KEYBOARD PORT.  Its RS422, the serial
> standard used by Macs and SGI systems for a time(Indigo2s, Indys,
> Ingigo?[not sure on this one]).  I'm sure there are drivers for
> solars but you really need a 3d app to use them right... think of a
> 6deg of freedom 3d mouse.  They are primarily used for 3d simuations
> and such.  Good stuff though.

I've never really thought of using it for simulations, although I supposed it
would be good for flight sim style games.  The applications that keep coming
to mind would be interactive sculpting or model painting.  Imaging a space
ball in the left hand, and either a Phantom haptic wand (they just call them
haptic devices, but I think that is too generic of a term) or a wacom tablet.

I happen to have a wacom tablet (or 2, what I would give to be able to get a
large one though), and my school has several Phantoms (although the professor
in charge only seems to be interested in medical simulations at this time).
So, all I need is a spaceball, and quite a lot of hours to work on the project.
An O2 or similar would also be handy.

--
Joshua D. Boyd