[rescue] Spaceballs.

Dan Sikorski rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 16:23:40 CST 2001

On Fri, 2001-12-07 at 17:14, Big Endian wrote:
> >I've got a spaceball, and it has a connector precisely like a sun
> >keyboard (sorry, i don't know the name of the connector) I've never done
> >anything with it, it's just been sitting around for a few years.  Anyone
> >know if this thing works in solaris?
>
> DIN 8, DO NOT PLUG THAT INTO A KEYBOARD PORT.  Its RS422, the serial
> standard used by Macs and SGI systems for a time(Indigo2s, Indys,
> Ingigo?[not sure on this one]).  I'm sure there are drivers for
> solars but you really need a 3d app to use them right... think of a
> 6deg of freedom 3d mouse.  They are primarily used for 3d simuations
> and such.  Good stuff though.

Um, i didn't fry it, did i?
(i plugged it into a sparc5 years ago, it beeped, and had no ill effects
on the sparc, or it's keyboard port.)

I hope not, i could plug it into the indigo2, just another toy to play
with :)  It will work with a sparc keyboard cable though, won't it? the
cable fits, is the pinout correct?

	-Dan