[rescue] Spaceballs.

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Dec 7 00:09:12 CST 2001

On Thu, Dec 06, 2001 at 10:12:51PM -0000, jwbirdsa at picarefy.picarefy.com wrote:
>    USB to serial boxes tend to be expensive, too. I bought one while I was
> investigating serial expansion options for free Unixes. You'd be better off
> finding out what multiport serial cards your OS of choice supports and looking
> on Ebay -- more ports for less $$$. A four-port board combined with your
> existing two will give you one left over for future expansion.

Sigh.  I'm also out of expansion slots on my main workstation.  The camera and
palm could easily go on another computer, if I had any that would take it.  So
far I've determined that all serial ports on my file server are dead.  Yuck.

I have a 486 that might be able to take them, if it still works.  Haven't used
it in a long time.  As to the serial consoles (and serial printer), I keep
hoping to get a xyplex, but other stuff keeps coming up.  One of these months.

>    (I've just been through this issue myself, putting together a multiport
> machine ("argus") to be a console server. Seven out of ten ports are in use
> at the moment, and I'd really like to get my Boca 16-port board working
> too. It wasn't very happy in argus, possibly because of I/O-space
> conflicts, and if it will play nice in a machine all by itself, it may end
> up there permanently. What's one more machine? :) )

About 10db?  I'm stalled in my project to set up a SS2 as a router since
I've been finding that it's harddrives are just too loud to work next to.  The
switch is noisy, but I can deal.  The IPX is also fairly loud (well, louder
than any of the PCs), but it too is fine.  But that SS2 drives me crazy.  I
think I have some spare drives in one of these boxes.

--
Joshua D. Boyd