[rescue] Got me a PowerBook 165c

Michael A. Turner rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 4 12:29:25 CST 2001

	I seem to remember from when I installed 68K bsd on my centris that
it needs a minimum of 10mb of ram to work. Which reminds me I should type
that problem up that I had with it and send it to the list. This problem has
defeated every mind that I have put it to.

	Off the top of my head the problem goes like this. To boot into 68K
bsd you have to boot into the mac OS and then run a booter to get into BSD
(no startup support , or at least not on the version I had). booter
controlled how much memory it used etc. mac  OS partion is the absolute
minimum, in the order of a few megs. Just enough to boot and start the
booter. Sorta like installing linux on an alpha system.

	I would then start the booter and it would run it's magic and I
would get to the login prompt and their the system would develope the
problem. I couldn't type anything. It did not seem to be frozen (cursor was
blinking away) it was like I just could not type anything anymore. So I
would restart. Giving the booter more memory would not help ( system had max
memory 64mb I think) but if I lowered the memory by 1mb when I went into the
booter that time I had keyboard and could type the login and password. This
happened a lot. I would test the keyboard in the MAC os, boot bsd, and loose
keyboard on startup. I would then reboot, lower memory by a MB and then try
it again and it would work. Now here is the bitch of the whole thing. I
finally reached minimum memory size and then I could not lower the ram
anymore. The question is, What do I do now? Any ideas what is causing this?

Michael A. Turner
Systems Engineer
WHRO
michael.turner at whro.org