[rescue] Alternatives to BIND?

James Sharp rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Dec 4 10:52:24 CST 2001

> Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
>
> > > http://sourceforge.net/projects/dents/
> >
> > Have you used this?  I found this years ago, but it seemed to be
> > abandoned...  maybe it's workable, but the website didn't hint at
> > that.
>
> I used it years ago it was Good. Started using zoneedit when I didn't
> feel like futzing with virtual domains.
>
> I've looked at the site, and you're right, it looks abandoned. Pity. It
> was Good.

I used dents a month or so ago as part of a test with SuperSparrow and
Ultramonkey (both Good Projects that have also been abandoned...sigh).
I've been half considering taking over maintenance of the project.  BIND
is the One True Nameserver, but it wouldn't do some stuff I wanted it to
do without some major kludgy hacking...and the people at ISC wouldn't even
consider adding that functionality in a release or two down the road.