[rescue] Re: MACWEENIES: Retorical question: Anyone given "novices" Sun boxes to displace Win systems?

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 23:11:45 CST 2001

On Mon, 2001-12-03 at 20:00, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> > But what about a mid-line SPARCstation? Like an Ultra
> > 1-170e with a nice creator framebuffer, 128+ Meg RAM,
> > and a 4 Gig HD (or 2x 2 Gig)? In theory, it will suit
> > his needs, and it will just run and run and run
> > without incident... Hell, Internet Explorer/Outlook
> > Express might even be reasonable.
>
> and think of it this way.  when he has trouble, you can dial in and fix it
> for him. :)
>
> i used OE5 SP1 on my ultra2 at work, and it's slow as hell.  IE isn't so bad,
> but OE5 was painful.  on a dual 300Mhz Creator 3D Seris 3 with 2GB RAM machine.
>
> so don't expect much outta OE, but netscape runs as crappily as it does on
> every other OS, so that's a good place to start.  plus, when it crashes it
> won't take the machine with it since he won't be running Wonders. :)

Well, Evolution is at 1.0 now.  It might be worth trying out, since it's
way too much like Outlook already.  Pretty easy to ignore the
calendar/tasks features if you don't need them (you can even delete the
folders entirely).  Mozilla is a bit better than NS for most of the
stuff that I do (as in, in renders the page without crashing).  Those
would be my takes, and at least evolution isn't too bad about needing
lots of resources.  :)
	Greg