[rescue] Re: MACWEENIES: Retorical question: Anyone given "novices" Sun boxes to displace Win systems?

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 22:00:50 CST 2001

> But what about a mid-line SPARCstation? Like an Ultra
> 1-170e with a nice creator framebuffer, 128+ Meg RAM,
> and a 4 Gig HD (or 2x 2 Gig)? In theory, it will suit
> his needs, and it will just run and run and run
> without incident... Hell, Internet Explorer/Outlook
> Express might even be reasonable.

and think of it this way.  when he has trouble, you can dial in and fix it
for him. :)

i used OE5 SP1 on my ultra2 at work, and it's slow as hell.  IE isn't so bad,
but OE5 was painful.  on a dual 300Mhz Creator 3D Seris 3 with 2GB RAM machine.

so don't expect much outta OE, but netscape runs as crappily as it does on
every other OS, so that's a good place to start.  plus, when it crashes it
won't take the machine with it since he won't be running Wonders. :)

having trouble putting thoughts together.  must sleep.

-brian