[rescue] cgnine on SunOS 4.x sun4m?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 19:52:59 CST 2001

   I suspect that cgnine only appears in the sun4 tree because it's VME, so
it's completely irrelevant for sun4c, and the 4/6xx is sort of the forgotten
stepchild of the sun4m world. Sun probably thought that if you had a 4/6xx,
you should be using SBus framebuffers, too bad they never made a good 24-bit
one...

   I managed to get a cgnine going under 4.1.1 on a 3/2xx. I had some fun
with the linker, too, but it was my fault: I was adding it to a kernel
configured for an otherwise headless machine, and I'd forgotten to add back
in the entries for desktops and keyboards and mice and such.

   You may want to poke around in the sun4 OBJ tree and find out what
objects reference the unreferenced cgnine functions. You may be able to
cobble together a working hybrid by including additional sun4 object files
or even replacing a few sun4m. As long as you leave a renamed working
kernel in your root directory, you should be able to recover easily enough
from failed attempts. :)

   --James B.