[rescue] Boy, am I glad I didn't switch to Cable modem servic e...

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Dec 3 18:16:31 CST 2001

Uhm, put a shed at the 100 foot mark (well, maybe 95
feet, allowing for differences) and ask them to run
cable to there. Once they do that (Remember, it should
be free!), then you run *your* cable the rest of the
way. You could sell it as a storm shed for your kids
to wait for the school bus in - they are not that
uncommon, and could save you some real money!

Ken

--- Drew Schatt <schatt at schatt.com> wrote:
> My mother had to deal with the same type of thing
> with Adelphia in Maine.
> What she ended up doing was talking to her
> contractor (she was having the
> driveway rebuilt at the time) and having him talk to
> the technical people
> at Adelphia.  What ended up happening was she
> provided the cable and the
> trench to their specs, and they didn't charge her a
> cent.  Talk to a
> supervisor, and find out what requirements they have
> for the trench and
> the cable, and get them to agree that you can
> provide it... Your mileage
> may vary, but good luck!
> 	-Drew
>
> On Mon, 3 Dec 2001, Corda Albert J DLVA wrote:
>
> > Cable company greed is legendary... I live in a
> > somewhat rural part of Virginia (Spotsylvania
> County)
> > and have been trying to find a way to get cable
> > internet service... There is a cable pedestal at
> > the base of my driveway, but my driveway is
> > 1200 Ft. (not uncommon in a rural county) and
> > the local cable company (Adelphia) charges
> > ~$4.00 a foot for anything over 100 ft. from the
> > road.  I've argued with them, and even offered
> > to trench my own cable, or provide a connection
> > point close to the road where they can install
> > a cable box (I was planning to run fiber down
> > to the box) They have absolutely refused to to
> > accomodate me or even consider connecting to
> > anything they haven't trenched themselves.

=====
Ken
n2vip at yahoo.com