[rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?

Mike Nicewonger rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 16:06:36 CST 2001

On Sat, 01 Dec 2001, you wrote:
> Could someone have toasted the SCSI controller before
> you got it?
>
> Have you examined Compaqs *very nice* web site for
> clues? Usenet groups related to COmpaq x86 hardware
> might also be useful...
>
> BTW, the Proliant makes a very nice Linux box ("Big"
> Mike & I each have one, dual 200 MHz PPro's make for a
> nice workstations/small server), curious about Solaris
> x86, but I never really did too much with it...

Something you may wanna try. Go into the BIOS, evil Compaq BIOS that it is. If
it is not on the 'special' partition you will need to download the BIOs
floppies. Go in, turn off the on board SCSI add an Adpatec or Symbios
controller, enjoy!

alteratively you can boot from the onboard IDE as well.

I really like my Proliant 800 a lot.

Mike N