[rescue] OT: Stuffed Proliant?

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Dec 1 11:51:48 CST 2001

Could someone have toasted the SCSI controller before
you got it?

Have you examined Compaqs *very nice* web site for
clues? Usenet groups related to COmpaq x86 hardware
might also be useful...

BTW, the Proliant makes a very nice Linux box ("Big"
Mike & I each have one, dual 200 MHz PPro's make for a
nice workstations/small server), curious about Solaris
x86, but I never really did too much with it...

HTH,

Ken

--- Robert Rose <rr at rits.com.au> wrote:
> Hey rescuers,
>
> Got me a $50 PPro Compaq Proliant 800 that I'm gonna
> run Solaris x86 on,
> but I have a problem; the system doesn't finish it's
> POST, it halts on
> "1702-SCSI cable error detected".  I remember this
> happening on similar age
> proliants before, but it's been years since I've
> dealt with them and I have
> lost all clue.  Things tried so far:
> 1. Remove all PCI cards except video.
> 2. Remove internal SCSI cable leaving nothing
> connected to the SCSI bus.
> 3. Attach short cable with known good terminator
> only.
> 4. Attach known good drive with termination set on
> drive.
> all produce the same 1702 error.  I can't even get
> it to the "boot system
> configuration and disable onboard SCSI" stage.  I
> can't think of anything
> else to try and am beginning to wonder if the SCSI
> chipset on the PCI/ISA
> riser is stuffed.

=====
Ken