[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

David Cantrell rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 31 11:33:26 CDT 2001

"Jeremy Nielson" <jnielson at ihccorp.com> wrote:

> Actually, i do believe Netware was around long before NT   ;)  Who's moving
> into who's market?

I think he meant that the *people* who were Novell's market were moving
towards NT.

> > It does work, and it will work tomorrow, and next week, and next
> > year........
>
> When something works, it takes less effort to use the program, than to do
> the task that's needed to get done.  If it takes you longer to actually get
> something, get it going, and figure out how to use it, than it does to even
> do the job, then there tends to be a whole psychological issue among normal
> people who aren't particularly amused at trying to figure out Computer
> Theory just to write a letter to Gramma.

My mother certainly needs to know quite a bit about computers when Windows
just randomly loses the printer, or crashes half-way through writing an
important document, or Word decides that the formatting she's used for the
past N years is wrong and should all be changed, or ...

>       Certainly we agree that MS products are not nearly as "reliable", or
> "secure", or just about anything else server junkies really crave

So my mother should be glad when kiddies use her box for their DDoS games?
She should dance for joy when her letters to clients just randomly
disappear?  She should sing a happy song when it decides that all her
spelling is wrong and she should be using a dictionary in some foreign
language?  Obviously, it's OK for the printer to just stop working.  And
of course it's just fine for her to have to phone me just about every week
apologising for her obvious stupidity cos she *must* have done something
wrong to make all these bad things happen.

Well, I don't think so.  I don't want my mother to lose important work,
or not be able to send invoices because her only source of tech support
(me) is off on holiday, or to feel like a moron because some fuckwit in
Redmond can't do his job properly.

So she no longer uses any Gatesware.  She has a system which Just Works.
It's incredibly easy to use, she required minimal training, and it
hasn't broken at all in something like a year and a half.

> That's enough of a rant for a Friday, though... don't ya think?

Quite right.  Don't mind me, I've had to put up with stupid graphic
designers who wouldn't know usability if it snuck up behind them and
spanked their bottoms whilst screaming "I'm Usability" at the top of
its voice. Grrr.

      Good advice is always certain to be ignored,
      but that's no reason not to give it            -- Agatha Christie