[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

Joshua D Boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 31 09:00:36 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 07:06:36AM -0400, Jeremy Nielson wrote:
> The only problem with that, is people have actually rigged explosives to
> their systems, and had them set to trip wires and what not...
>
> The people whose machines were confiscated, err, umm, destroyed, were then
> charged with obstruction of justice.

I would think that he could only be charged with that if the police gave
him a chance to disarm everything.  After all, it wouldn't due for
sensitive personal information to fall into criminal hands.

Isn't there something about documenting procedures to help get around
obstruction of justice?  I remeber hearing somewhere that if evidence is
destroyed as part of a documented destruction procedure (like all faxes
are destroyed after one week, or on the occurence of a security
breach) then it isn't obstruction of justice.

Definately something to go over with a lawyer before hand.

> What a pity the world we live in, where one can't be "secure in his papers"
> anymore.

Are those quotes supposed to be making reference to something specific
that I don't know about?

--
Joshua D. Boyd