[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

Simeon Johnston rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 17:20:11 CDT 2001

> I would think it would crack the platter into several pieces but not
> enough so that it couldn't be clean-room assembled.  Someone mentioned
> the inverse-square law on this - I think the casing will absorb enough
> of the blast to make the disk reconstructible.
>
> If there's even a third of the platter left then it's probably not an
> effective solution.
>
> What about a simple non-toxic coating dissolving compound pumped into
> the drive case?  You could probably rent/borrow time in a clean room
> somewhere and install a "clean" micro-spray nozzle into the top of the
> hard drive.  Just make sure the pressure is enough to fill the drive
> casing completely in a short amount of time.
>
> Anybody got a good chemical suggestion?

WOW...
That's the best suggestion yet.
Maybe a scraping blade dissolving compound combo.  As long as you got
the thing open.  The scraping blade would ensure the platters where wiped.

This would actually work a lot better on the MB and related chips.
Faster meltdown.  Encase it in some kind of plasic and pump the chemical in.
:)

It just gets better and better.

Maybe someone should start manufacturing Phycotically Secure Computers.
Built in self destruct devices.  Complete and utter data loss garanteed.
I think there's a market for it.
:)

sim