[rescue] I'm a published author 8-)

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 17:00:55 CDT 2001

>Yes, but the books aren't selling well enough to make me a full-time
>living.  It's sort of like being half-laid off -- I'm not sure whether
>working harder at the books would be a good thing, or paying off the
>publisher to get out of the last contract and concentrating on the
>techie job.

I read an interesting article about how Dean Koontz bought all the rights
back to his early novels from the publishers, cleaned them up, and when a
new book is written, he forces the publisher to buy one or two of the old
books in order along with it.

You can really work your butt off in writing and not get paid what you're
worth.

 Meanwhile someone rips off Narnia and JRRT ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H writes a
book about a smarmy little 12-year-old git with "magickal" powers and
everyone starts screaming and soiling themselves over Harry Potter.

<son of independent bookstore parents>

Cordially
--
Patrick Giagnocavo