[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

Mike Hebel rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 15:29:52 CDT 2001

JDB> On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 03:36:18PM -0400, s at avoidant.org wrote:
>> Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>
>> > I don't think that you can trust a single normal grenade to destroy a
>> > computer thoroughly enough.
>>

>> You've never actually _seen_ a grenade explode firsthand, have you?
>>
>> I think it'd certainly fragment the disk platters.

JDB> I'm sure it would damage the platters, but would it destroy them enough
JDB> that they couldn't be pieced back together?

I would think it would crack the platter into several pieces but not
enough so that it couldn't be clean-room assembled.  Someone mentioned
the inverse-square law on this - I think the casing will absorb enough
of the blast to make the disk reconstructible.

If there's even a third of the platter left then it's probably not an
effective solution.

What about a simple non-toxic coating dissolving compound pumped into
the drive case?  You could probably rent/borrow time in a clean room
somewhere and install a "clean" micro-spray nozzle into the top of the
hard drive.  Just make sure the pressure is enough to fill the drive
casing completely in a short amount of time.

Anybody got a good chemical suggestion?

Mike Hebel                          mailto:drone8of9 at crosswinds.net

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.html

http://drone8of9.crosswinds.net/documents/Mike_Hebel_Current_3.doc