[rescue] Biggest Drive usable in SS5?

BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 12:24:33 CDT 2001

> .....  I don't think I want to see anybody try it with a full height
> drive.

Right on the drive sizes...1/3, 1/2.  I have a box full of 3.5 inch
1/2 high drives that just don't seem to fit....(:+}}...  I probably
need to round up a couple of those Sun external boxes that hold the
single 1/2 high sca drive.

> > Actually, running NetBSD, you could make a fine web/email server
> > out of it on 1 gig, if you think a little about the fs layout and
> > don't get too gaudy with addins.  Build Mozilla the Gorilla first,
> > since that requires about 300mb of build space, and then clear the
> > build stuff off and do any remaining addins.
>
> Why would you need mozilla on a web/mail server?

I test my pages on the same box the server runs on.  A browser is nice
there.  I was thinking he wanted to use the box as an email/browser
box, rather than a server, and thus would need a browser (Mozilla is
OK, on mine, but slow).  I got everything to build except the last
little bit of Mozilla on a 500mb drive.  He could probably do fine on
a 1 gig drive, but space might be a little tight, once the distfiles
tree and ports build junk begins to fill it up.  Make cleandir is your
friend, in that case.  Still, I think he could make a usable box out
of it even with the 1 gig drive, using NetBSD.  If he wants to use
Solaris, he needs probably at least a 2 gig drive to get any usable
space after the install, especially if he wants to add in some junk
off the companion cd.  On my machines, a full Solaris 8 install really
needs 2gig, and the full companion cd install really needs another 2 gig.
NetBSD, on the other hand, or OpenBSD, too, easily do everything in 1 gig
with a full install, with kernel sources, plus the browser/apache/etc
addin bits to fill it out.

Bob