[rescue] Biggest Drive usable in SS5?

Gregory Leblanc rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 10:54:31 CDT 2001

On Thu, 2001-08-30 at 09:11, BSD Bob the old greybeard BSD freak wrote:
> >  I have an old SS5, that I got surplus from work, for the price
> >  of 3 loaves of banana bread.  Only has a 1 Gig drive, which is
> >  pretty sorry for a web/email server. Will ANY 80-pin SCA drive
> >  work in this box, or are there size limitations?
>
> Good rescue.

Agreed!

> AFIK, any HALF height sca drive will work.  Full height drives might
> only work in the top connector on the SS5, but you won't be able

Erm, actually, I think that a "full height" drive would look really
funny sticking out of the top of an SS5.  They are designed to take 1/3
height drives (1 inch tall).  You can probably put a half-height drive
into the top bay if you're not worried about putting the case back
together.  I don't think I want to see anybody try it with a full height
drive.

> Actually, running NetBSD, you could make a fine web/email server
> out of it on 1 gig, if you think a little about the fs layout and
> don't get too gaudy with addins.  Build Mozilla the Gorilla first,
> since that requires about 300mb of build space, and then clear the
> build stuff off and do any remaining addins.

Why would you need mozilla on a web/mail server?
	Greg