[rescue] Re: nuking from orbit

G W Adkins rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 30 10:27:09 CDT 2001

> I was actually thinking of a divice that could be setup inside the
> computer that, when the correct button was pressed, would turn on wipe
> the drive for you.  Probably take out the MB and magnetize the case too.
> Now that would be cool. :)

That's actually something useful.  Easily done,  just run AC off the PS
input, maybe through a loading resistor of some sort and then through a big,
fact coil mounted eccentrically on the surface of the drive, paralell to the
platters  (   o)

the degaussing coil 'should' be close enough, and with the disk spinning,
oughtta be ablre to get a good 'Government-Grade' degauss of the platters if
the coil is large enough.

then just mount a Big Red Switch on the front of you case... With a
molly-guard of course :)