[rescue] New guy with a SS5...

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 10:58:21 CDT 2001

> 	Please pardon my ignorance. Can anyone help me find out what kinds of
> upgrades and extras I can heap on top of my SS5? It came to me with 64MB of
> RAM and a 1GB drive and no CDROM or floppy. I've added another 1.7GB in hard
> drives (1GB internal and a small 700MB external) and an external CDROM. I
> run Solaris 8 on it right now (the entire reason for the desperate drive
> upgrades). Any sources for RAM for this thing might be helpful too. This is
> my first Sun machine. Before this I ran (if that is the right word) Solaris
> on PC's. Any useful advice is very appreciated!
> John at tequies.com

I've had good luck with various eBay sellers of Sparcstuff; keyboard, SS10
base unit, extra RAM, 2nd processor card, CD, speakerbox, 10/100 ethernet all
from separate sellers and all working.

MemoryX is a place that carries SPARC memory; I bought a couple of filler
items (mousepad, VGA monitor adapter, hard drive mounting washers) from them
and they filled the orders promptly.  Their WWW site is reasonably informative.

What you need to add to the box is really a function of what you want to do with it.  I wanted to teach myself about old SPARC hardware, Solaris 8 and SPARC-Linux configuration, and application software use under Solaris operating as an NFS server and X client.

-- enjoy, SP