[rescue] Ultra 10, yet again

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 29 09:53:24 CDT 2001

The problems I've run into lately with PC133 memory
(even from good vendors) are that the higher density
chips now being produced seem to not always be
backward compatible with older PC motherboards.
Even if they are, no guarantee that they will work
simultaneously with any existing memory that uses
lower-density chips.

I have encountered both of the problems above.
I actually ended trading someone a 256MB stick of
PC133 for a 128MB stick of PC100 in order to fatten
up my old ABIT BH-6 MB.  Everyone was happy.

No idea whether this will be a problem in (for
example) SB100s and SunPCI/II cards, but I'll keep
an eye out for it--we're going to be buying some more
memory for those we have here since it's so doggone
cheap.

--
Rip Loomis
Senior Systems Security Engineer, SAIC CIST