[rescue] RE: Re: Ultra 10, yet again

Robert Novak rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 23:34:46 CDT 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, paulFrom:hlampkin at bellsouth.net (Harold Lampkin) wrote:

> s at avoidant.org wrote:
>
> >Believe it or not, I only found two or three references to it on the
> >web. All of them suggested replacing the cpu,

I had this too, four machines in one week even.

> >I don't think I qualify for replacement parts from Sun,
> >even if the machine is less than two years old (somebody PLEASE correct
> >me if I'm wrong!).

I *think* desktops have a 1 year warranty, servers have a 3 year warranty.
The specifics are at

	http://www.sun.com/service/support/warranty/features.html

If I read it correctly, the Ultra 10 (workstation or server config)
warranty is 1 year, 8 business hours callback phone coverage, next day
on-site hardware repair.

> >Woo0hoo!!!!!!! How on earth did you come to that conclusion? Everything
> >pointed to the cpu, I didn't write down the whole page that came up when
> >the kernel paniced, but it was all about [cpu0] and cpu Ecache Data
> >Parity Errors, which I thought pointed to the cpu cache, as did everyone
> >I spoke with.
>
> >YOU REALLY NEED TO BE SPECIFIC HERE.

Check your caps lock please. "Hit the bird, Martha, it's stuck."

> >>  Sun suggested to use contact cleaner to clean the gold contacts.
> >> I decided to use pencil erase instead.

I swapped out memory on the systems I had this problem with, just in case
(it was easy and I had a spare 512MB kit new in wrappers) and it didn't
help. Oddly enough, on one of the machines I installed Solaris 8 and
patched it to current, and the errors disappeared. Maybe the jumpstart
install blew the dust out of the contacts for me. :)

--Rob

        "And it's been a long December and there's reason to believe
           Maybe this year will be better than the last...." -- counting crows