[rescue] Win9x on SunPC? (was: 670MP funzies....PC card too?)

Brian Hechinger rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 11:52:33 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 28, 2001 at 12:34:02PM -0400, Loomis, Rip wrote:
> Hmmm...
> To the best of my knowledge, the SunPC cards don't
> allow you to install "random OS of your choice",
> but instead include Win3.1 (not WfW 3.11).  At least,
> that matches my memory and the license cards I found
> with a copy of SunPC 4.1 here.

i have a special copy of Win95 for these things.  never tested it, don't know
if it works or not.

> I've got 5x85/133 and a 486sx/33 SunPC cards here,
> but I haven't bothered to get them up-and-running
> because of this.  Trying to use a web-browser under
> Win3.1 might be do-able but ugly...trying to do that
> on a crappy 486 running inside a Solaris box would
> seem to be past Point o'Diminishing Returns.

DOS, 3.1?  blah.  not that i'm a fan of 95 or anything, but the support is
just completely gone.  any browser you would find would be so completely out
of date it would just be silly.

can i pull the 486 CPU off of my SunPC card and replace it with one of those
5x86/whatever upgrade CPUs?  there are a couple of them at a local flea market
type place for pretty cheap, and i wouldn't mind making this thing faster.  not
that i use it or anything since i don't have OS support for it (Sol 8)

-brian