[rescue] Win9x on SunPC? (was: 670MP funzies....PC card too?)

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 11:34:02 CDT 2001

Hmmm...
To the best of my knowledge, the SunPC cards don't
allow you to install "random OS of your choice",
but instead include Win3.1 (not WfW 3.11).  At least,
that matches my memory and the license cards I found
with a copy of SunPC 4.1 here.

I've got 5x85/133 and a 486sx/33 SunPC cards here,
but I haven't bothered to get them up-and-running
because of this.  Trying to use a web-browser under
Win3.1 might be do-able but ugly...trying to do that
on a crappy 486 running inside a Solaris box would
seem to be past Point o'Diminishing Returns.

I know that SunPCI and SunPCI/II cards don't have
this limitation (and also don't include an OS license)--
but can anyone speak categorically as to whether it's
possible to get anything that is worth using for
even web browsing up-and-running on a SunPC card?

Thanks--

  --Rip

[[SNIP]]