Indigo 2 - was Re: [rescue] 386BSD

Matthew Haas rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 28 10:36:18 CDT 2001

On Tue, 28 Aug 2001, James Lockwood wrote:

> The Indigo R3000 uses the special SGI protocol kb/mouse.  The Indigo R4000
> uses a PS/2 kb/mouse like the I2 and Indy.

Ack! So many Indigo contradictions on the list lately!!

I am sitting in front of my R4000 (upgraded to 150MHz R4400)
Indigo right now (model #CMNB003B). It is an Indigo, not Indigo2.

I am using the beige keyboard (SGI part # 9500801), and beige mouse (SGI
part # 9150800). They have what appear to be PS/2 style connectors, but
are incompatible due to reasons of different voltages and signals. (Not to
mention these are serial, not a bus like PS/2, IIRC).

I have heard that the early, first generation(?) Onyx keyboard (and
mouse??) are of the same type and can be used on either system (hence the
ability for an Indigo to use a granite keyboard).

As far as I know, the R3000 Indigos use this same setup.

The Indigo2 and Indy both have regular PS/2 style connectors.

Hope this helps.