[rescue] 386BSD

Patrick Giagnocavo rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 21:41:04 CDT 2001

>> Yer kindof stuck with basic drivers like for the 3c503 or ne1000 kind of
>> thingy.  If you need a card for it, holler.  I have a box full of old
>> ethernet cards that I will probably offload into the bit bucket dumpster
>> shortly.
>
>Thanks for the offer, but this machine is a laptop, so unless there are pcmcia
>versions of them that 386bsd will work with I'm SOL.

 Xircom among others made a parallel port ethernet card.  You plugged it
into the parallel port and then plugged RJ45 into the adapter.  I know that
there were Linux drivers many years ago for the things; that might be an
option.  In such a case you just needed to hack up the parallel port
driver, rather than implement the entire PCMCIA spec before then going on
to write a driver.

Cordially
--
Patrick Giagnocavo