[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Zach Malone rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 10:27:56 CDT 2001

Yes, we can produce massive amounts of food using heavy agricultural
methods, however, they rapidly leech the soil of nutrients and make an area
unusable for farming, and living.  For example, Oklahoma, the soil was
leeched of nutrients and the native plant life was destroyed, end result,
the dust bowl.  Another one, the middle east, believe it or not, it was only
a couple thousand years ago that the middle east was a beutiful place to
live, but due to deforestation and the leeching of the soil, we now have
desert.  Its expected that some time in the near future, we will loose the
central valley as a food source.  That region of the US provides a
substantial amount of the food that is consumed in this country.  Sure, we
can support tons of people in the short run, but in the long run, we end up
making that area unusable for food production.
    Zach