[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Jeremy Nielson rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 27 08:51:20 CDT 2001

>   My comments on overpopulation are based on two things:
>
>   1) The fact that it took me well over an hour to get to Terp
>      Trader a few weeks ago, and it's a whopping six miles from here.  I
>      don't live IN DC...I live halfway between the DC and Baltimore
>      beltways, a good number of miles outside of both.

I really don't mean to be overly inflammatory, but just because it took you
awhile to get somewhere six miles from home doesn't exactly give me proof
the Earth is suffering, or will be suffering any time soon from the
Overpopulation epidemic.  What it *is* a proof of, apparently, is urban
sprawl, and the effects it has on the psyche and well being of an
individual.

>   2) I heard a rather shocking statistic a while back, which I'm sure
>     everyone knows by now: More than half of the people who have ever
>     lived are still alive today.

I've heard this statistic as well, a few years ago in school.  It seems more
of an interesting Gedankenexperiment than an actual fact, similar to the
whole "six degrees of seperation" thing.

>   Do the math.  At this rate of population growth, we are going to have
> some BIG PROBLEMS in a few decades.  That scares me.  The only vested
> interest *I* have in saying this is the fact that I want a planet to
> live on, and I'd prefer it be THIS ONE.

If we can fit litterally 2.5 billion people into China and India alone, I
don't see the problems for the rest of the planet.  What kind of Big
Problems do you see?  Places to store people?  There's plenty of space.
Feeding them all?  Here's another statistic... the United States has the
production ability to feed the entire planet.  (The only reason we don't do
so, is that it's not economically "feasable"...as in, if someone isn't gonna
pay me for a burger, i'm not gonna give it to them)

Just curious :)

Jeremy Nielson