[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 23:52:40 CDT 2001

On Sun, Aug 26, 2001 at 12:36:20AM -0400, Ken Hansen wrote:
> Land Rovers can do amazing things, I know, I've done a few with mine, but no
> vehicle can make an unsafe situation safe. I once drove to VT from NJ in a
> snow storm, and I could only look in horro at the *foolish* women driving
> their suburbans and excursions at 65 - 70 MPH in a driving snow storm...
> They seemed to think 4WD makes it impossible to slide out of control when
> you hit a patch of black ice.

Hehe.  I think the whole that opened in the floor of my Nissan Sentra was
from going a bit fast in a rather nasty rain/snow combo (with 4+ inches of
slush sitting on everything, especially the road).  It took quite a bit of
discipline not to flinch and wreck when the floor started
erupting.  Further investigation showed that the floor had been rather
rusted for some time.

> You want a Mercedes sedan to hug the road, not your off-road vehicle.

Yeah, now we know where my vehicular intentions lie.

--
Joshua D. Boyd