[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 21:13:55 CDT 2001

On Sat, 25 Aug 2001, Peter Joules wrote:

> The main reason why they became popular in the UK 40-50 years ago is because
> with a coulpe of small modifications they can be driven on a motorcycle
> licence.  They also qualify as motorcycles as far as road taxis concerned so
> tax is only 66UKP/year as against 160 for a four wheeled car.  They are also
> made of plastc on a galvanised chassis so they don't rot and are fun to drive.
>
> I also get about 60 miles/gallon out of it :)

Is that per U.S. gallon or Imperial gallon?  If Imperial, it's comparable
to a lot of subcompact 4 wheelers on the road today.

One of the reasons I suspect they are not as popular as 4 wheelers in the
U.S. is that they require a motorcycle license.  The vast majority of
motorcycle licencees here acquire their automotive license first, and with
few exceptions there are no differences in eligability age.  Licensing
costs are usually based on purchase price so cheaper vehicles have a
general benefit but there isn't usually a difference between vehicle
classes (except commercial vehicles).

> Yes, there is a degree of instability as the single wheel is at the front,
> but if one goes round a corner fast enough to lift a rear wheel then that is
> probably faster than one could stop in the visible distance - so too fast.

I do like the "two in front" design such as used in the Tri-Magnum and
T-Rex.  If I ever have the money and time I'll give serious thought to
building one, I've driven a friends Tri-Magnum kit and it was an absolute
blast.  A mildly worked over 270hp turbo 'busa engine with an automotive
tire conversion would be just about right.  :)

-James [are we far enough off topic yet?]

--
James Lockwood
Guy on Summer Vacation (dot-com bombed)