[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 13:54:18 CDT 2001

On August 25, Kurt Huhn wrote:
> >   Ok...bear in mind that I'm getting to a point by asking this...but
> > why do you think that was a good thing?
>
> Three wheeled ATVs are inhently unstable - nearly Felony Unstable.  For the
> activities they're engaged in, stability is a major factor in determining
> rider safety.  The result of:
>     uneven_terrain
> + vehicle_instability
> + high_speed
> + driver_inexperience
> ---------------------------
> = horrible_injuries
>
> Not that it's exactly right, but the US Gov't stepped in at some point and
> told the ATV manufacturers to stop producing these machines.  Injuries on
> the trail (and back yard, and field) dropped as people started using the
> much more stable 4-wheeled ATVs.

  ...which was my point entirely.  Having ridden a few 3-wheelers in
my youth, I'm quite aware of how dangeorus they are to the stupid.

  But that doesn't mean the government should make them illegal.
Microwave ovens are dangerous to the stupid.  Hell, a damn PAIR OF
PLIERS is dangerous to the stupid.  Should they be made illegal as
well?  Where does one draw the line?  Where will the US Gov't stop
trying to coddle and protect the stupid?  The general decline of the
level of "clue" in this country should be a case-in-point here.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD