[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

Kurt Huhn rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Aug 25 09:13:26 CDT 2001

>   Ok...bear in mind that I'm getting to a point by asking this...but
> why do you think that was a good thing?

Three wheeled ATVs are inhently unstable - nearly Felony Unstable.  For the
activities they're engaged in, stability is a major factor in determining
rider safety.  The result of:
    uneven_terrain
+ vehicle_instability
+ high_speed
+ driver_inexperience
---------------------------
= horrible_injuries

Not that it's exactly right, but the US Gov't stepped in at some point and
told the ATV manufacturers to stop producing these machines.  Injuries on
the trail (and back yard, and field) dropped as people started using the
much more stable 4-wheeled ATVs.

Understand that motorcycles and riders have an a lot of bad images -
depending on the type of bike you're riding - here in the US.  Most of this
is an image created and fostered by Hollywood in the 50s and 60s (and even
later, but that's when it started).  This is part of the reason why nobody
cried foul - that and media demonization of the 3 wheeled ATV.

Kurt