[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 16:56:00 CDT 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Al Potter wrote:

> "Earth" is precisely what's wrong on models up till the mid 60s (if memory
> serves) as they were positive earth (the ground was positive).

So were many vintage American vehicles.  My parents '48 Chevy panel truck
was 6V positive ground from the factory, though the electrical system on
those was simple enough that doing a 12V negative ground was a cinch.

> I've often wondered if it hs something to do with the modifications of the
> basic cars done for import into the US.

I don't think so.  Speaking as someone who put some effort into a Sunbeam
Alpine and a few MG's, the quality of the wiring just sucks.  Physically
stressed wires, low quality insulation and marginal interconnects were
common.

-James

--
James Lockwood