[rescue] Sun training

Loomis, Rip rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 14:11:09 CDT 2001

Bill--
You mean this one?
 http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0072123699
I guess I'll take a chance and order it for folks
here...I'm not sure if you actually know anything
about Suns, though....are you sure you're qualified?

  =8-)

IMHO:
The best training for Sun hardware maintenance is to
have to keep old stuff up-and-running including
upgrades, and get newer stuff at least once every
couple of months.  Everything I learned from using and
tinkering with sun4c/sun4m boxen was useful, but no
substitute for hands-on time with an E3000 or SB100.

The best training for OS adminning and maintenance is
to have both good and bad examples of "how to"--in my
case, I learned the best way to do certain things from
good senior admins starting in 1988, and learned the
wrong ways from various other sources along the way.
If I only had ever adminned boxes that were properly
installed, I wouldn't know half of what I know now
about the little details that bite one in the butt.

  --Rip