[rescue] Re: geek vehicles

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Aug 24 10:46:41 CDT 2001

On Fri, Aug 24, 2001 at 08:43:18AM -0700, Fogg, James wrote:
> Things with air in them weigh a lot less. Those books probably weighed more
> than you think. Infact, by the cubic foot, paper weighs more than wood
> (because wood has more air and than paper fiber). For the cubic space
> occupied by those books you probably could have hauled 2 or 3 times as much
> wood (thus filling your minivan completely with wood?).

Yeah, probably. We used to haul a lot of wood in an old Dodge station
wagon.  Then we found that if we thought ahead, we could pay the same
amount, but get a dump truck load delivered instead of picking up a
station wagon load ourselves.  So, that is what we do.  Every year, two or
three dump truck loads of scrap wood are dropped off for us to burn for
heat.  Yearly heating bill?  Somewhere around $90.

--
Joshua D. Boyd