[rescue] Netra 1100/1400 => 1105/1405?

Scott Newell rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 15:58:16 CDT 2001

>I think you missed the point.  Only on PCs is it necessary to vary the
>CPU voltages.  Any non-Intel workstation is almost certainly designed
>with one CPU voltage in mind.

What happens if you scale the CPU semi process?  Do all the PPCs run at the
same voltage?  I've never thought about this before.  Seems kinda limiting
if you update your process technology and then can't use the chips...I
guess they could just sell you a power supply along with the processor!

What's the current draw on the big UltraSparcs nowadays?  I'd probably have
chosen a local VRM instead of sticking everything into the PSU, just to
reduce the need for high current wiring and connectors.  I^2 R drop is a
bitch...  'Course, having a VRM near the CPU might be great for power
supply stability and transient response, but it also moves heat closer to
the CPU.

newell