[rescue] Re: What to do with a 630mp?

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 23 15:41:31 CDT 2001

On August 23, Robert Novak wrote:
> >   ...and if you put beefier CPUs in it, it's even better. :)  Five
> > bucks is a steal.
>
> Definitely. Just think of it as a SPARCstation 10 on a VME board. You
> could probably run some kick-arse CPUs on it (not sure how far up the
> HyperSPARC line you can go--I think I tried a 200 once but had a jumper
> wrong so it showed up as 180MHz).

  That must've been sweet.

> I've run 4/600 in the 6-slot deskside (3/150?), 3-slot deskside (4/330),
> and 3-slot desktop (4/110) with no problems, with a memory expansion board
> and/or a jaguar IPI board, for what it's worth. You should have no
> problem. The only issues I remember are with the 3/60 because of its
> limited VME connection (serial console won't work, right?).

  One of the nicest desktop systems I've ever run was a 4/600 in a
4/110 chassis with two SM61s running SPARC Linux.  Aside from all the
Linuxisms it was a VERY nice system.

  The 3/50 and 3/60 chassis aren't full VME chassis...you need to run
a few wires to get some voltages to where they need to be for some
processor boards.  And with their limited cooling, they're best left
for 3/50 and 3/60 boards IMO.

       -Dave

--
Dave McGuire