[rescue] hrm.

joshua d boyd rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 14:44:25 CDT 2001

> Women are very common in my technical field, environmental science.  An area
> of overlap with geekdom is Geographic Information Systems.  The women in
> GIS positions whom I've worked with have been able to do better
> technically than the men despite what the stereotypes may
> suggest.  There is plenty of mathematical aptitude required.  Perhaps
> the women can ignore the bytes and cables and thus retain focus on the
> application of what they're doing with a computer.

Speaking of GIS and women (and general computing), my mom needs a system
for dealing with rather complex route planning issues.

Specifically, she has a list of about 200 address (she gets a new list
every month, and the length will be growing somewhat over time), and needs
to find them all on a map, then group them geographically into clusters
that can all be reached in one day, with each location in the cluster
being stopped at for about 45 minutes to an hour.

Currently, she spends about 4 days straight doing nothing but this every
month.

MS Streats allows importing a comma delimited database, and it tries to
find all the address in it, but it doesn't help with planning or printing
the maps out at all.

Any ideas?

--
Joshua D. Boyd