[rescue] hrm.

Steve Pacenka rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 14:26:36 CDT 2001

> On August 22, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > Had been too intimidated by the idea that all this required math
> > skills when I was in my 20s.
>

> > Biggest hurdle for women, I think, is believing that they can do the
> > work.

Dave McGuire agreed:

>   Absolutely.  The whole "technical work is for men only" thing is a big
> load of floatables.  One of the most talented programmers I know is a
> woman.  Yes James, I'm talking about Cris.  Stop drooling. ;)

Women are very common in my technical field, environmental science.  An area of overlap with geekdom is Geographic Information Systems.  The women in GIS positions whom I've worked with have been able to do better technically than the men despite what the stereotypes may suggest.  There is plenty of mathematical aptitude required.  Perhaps the women can ignore the bytes and cables and thus retain focus on the application of what they're doing with a computer.

I too easily get lost in the bytes and cables since my dad was an electronics hacker in the 40's and 50's and managed to infect me at an early age. :^)

-- SP