[rescue] FDDI questions.

gonufer rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 12:15:04 CDT 2001

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   What I will mention, though, is that Sun had NO part in the
> development of SVR4.  It was new around 1988/1989...before it was even
> an itch in Sun's pants.

Sun started working with AT&T to define SVR4 in 1987.  The OSF was
formed in 1988 to counter that "threat".

Funny how SVR4 has so much SunOS technology in it (like, say, the VM
system!) if Sun had no part in it. Sorry, but Sun and AT&T were the
two major players that defined and implemented SVR4.  Sun released
an initial plain port of SVR4.0 to select developers (if you thought
SunOS 5.0 was bad...) but went on to add SMP, etc., before releasing
SunOS 5.x.

	http://perso.wanadoo.fr/levenez/unix/

-greg