[rescue] So I've got this *dead* SS/10...

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 06:01:40 CDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001, Ken Hansen wrote:

> I'll try holding stop-n on power up (as suggested by
> someone else), and serial console, but what do you
> mean by pull the NVRAM and boot up - do you mean power
> up without an NVRAM in place?

Right.  Either no NVRAM or an NVRAM with a bogus checksum.  Stop-N
_should_ override any strange behaviour associated with the NVRAM chip but
I have had cases where pulling the chip was necessary for bootup.  Not
sure why.

> What are JTAG specs?

Used for board checkout at an extremely low level.  JTAG testing can turn
up all kinds of interesting failures including both interconnect and
component problems (marginal solder connections, etc).  In a nutshell,
various parts on the board get different JTAG ID's and can be tested
independently.  It's essentially impossible to do without detailed design
information including schematics.

Silly question, but are you sure the power supply is ok?  Might not hurt
to swap in a known good one just to eliminate it as a possibility.

-James

--
James Lockwood
Guy on Summer Vacation (dot-com bombed)