[rescue] SunOS 4.x (was: Re: FDDI stuff)

Bill Bradford rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 04:17:55 CDT 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 11:45:50PM -0700, James Lockwood wrote:
> Some 4.1, some 4.2.  AFAIK virtually no 4.3 was directly incorporated and
> 4.3ish enhancements were developed independently by Sun, but I could have
> missed something.

Speaking of which, when did Sun officially stop selling 4.1.4?  I remember it
still being orderable as of '96 or so...

The only sucky thing about 4.1.x was the amount of work required to get
it fairly secure out of the box, along with the broken name service
resolution (although "enabling" DNS was easy enough..)

I never ran it on anything faster than a Classic; maybe I should pick up
a dual/quad-CPU ss10/20 and give it another shot.

Also, anybody know if there ever actually was a 4.1.4 for the UltraSPARC?
I kept hearing rumors that Sun did an internal "port" to satisfy a VERY LARGE
(tm) customer that didnt want to switch to Solaris, but never offically
released it because they didnt want to cripple SunOS 5.x sales.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net