[rescue] [MAILER-DAEMON at arkham.ws: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender]

Greg A. Woods rescue at sunhelp.org
Wed Aug 22 00:12:57 CDT 2001

[ On Tuesday, August 21, 2001 at 20:51:01 (-0400), Brian Hechinger wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] [MAILER-DAEMON at arkham.ws: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender]
>
> > <woods at weird.com>: host mail.weird.com[204.92.254.2] refused to talk to me:
> >    501-HELO requires a valid host name as operand: 'mail.arkham.ws'
> >    501-connection rejected from piccalo.arkham.ws remote address
> >    [216.158.63.58]. 501-Reason given was: 501-  the domain name
> >    'mail.arkham.ws' is a CNAME not a hostname (it must be a 501   domain name
> >    resolving to an A record)
>
> *sigh*  guess i'll be changing that (although i thought i did)

Ooops!  :-)  Not yet:

$ host -Z -a mail.arkham.ws
mail.arkham.ws.         71958   IN      CNAME   gohan.arkham.ws.
gohan.arkham.ws.        71958   IN      A       216.158.63.57

I'm pretty draconian about how I configure my mail server....

> On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:22:09PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > > Subject: Re: [rescue] FDDI questions.
> > > yeah.  I'm one of them.  I'd love to get my Sparc 5 onto fddi.
> > I can be paid to write drivers like that, and the price can be as low as
> > getting some free hardware (including of course the part being catered
> > to) if the deadlines are flexible enough!  ;-)
>
> i can most likely dig up an NSI card and a Sun card (although i think they are
> almost the same thing) that i could send to you.  let me see what i have laying
> around here.  if you get these things supported in NetBSD you will be my new
> hero.

I'm game to give it a try....  I've got a development Axil-320 that I've
more or less inherited from a client (and which stays relatively on the
bleeding edge of NetBSD-current), and a bunch of FDDI capable DEC (nee
cabletron, nee dnpg, nee enterasys) networking gear, including a about
three DECswitch 900EF's and an FDDI concentrator (and two DEChub900's to
plug them into, along with lots of 10baseT hubs, various DECservers, and
now a VNswitch 900EX).  I just need whatever host adapter(s) you want
drivers for, and of course some fiber to hook it all up.  I've also got
some CDDI PCI cards somewhere that I think there are already drivers for
(I think they're DEC DEFPA controllers with copper interfaces), but alas
I'd need a media converter to plug them into the concentrator....

The incentive of ending up with high-speed networking for this sparc-20
would certainly be worth part of the effort.

I haven't written a full network driver for nearly a decade now, and
never anything to do with FDDI, but shouldn't stop me!  ;-)

(if any of these cards use the DEC PDQ FDDI controller that's on the
DEFPA et al then most of the driver's already written and only an sbus
front-end would be necessary, but perhaps that'd be pushing my luck too
much!  :-)

--
							Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098      VE3TCP      <gwoods at acm.org>     <woods at robohack.ca>