[rescue] FDDI questions.

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 22:34:07 CDT 2001

On August 21, Brian Hechinger wrote:
> >   Actually I do agree that Solaris has come a long way.  I really
> > didn't like the way Sun crammed it down everyone's throats, though.
>
> what choice did thay have though?  they made a choice to switch to SysV (even
> if we all agree that it was a bad one) and they had to stick with it.  you
> can't have expected them to maintain both.  that would have required, uhm, like
> another programmer or two. :)

  What choice did they have?  Not to switch to SysV in the first place.
It was a purely marketing-driven move, and it clearly marks the
transition of Sun from a company that cared most about advancing the
state of the art to a company that cared most about advancing their
wallet.

  Now mind you, I like Sun, and I like what they're doing now.  But
anyone who argues that they're not profit-driven above ALL else is
deluding themselves.

  And further, not that I think it's a bad thing to be profit-driven.
Companies have to make their money.  But when it comes to sacrificing
technical superiority for the sake of those profits...THAT'S the
problem.  And that's exactly what the BSD->SysV move was for them.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Laurel, MD