[rescue] Mounting older filesystems - need some help here

James Lockwood rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 19:19:50 CDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001, Larry Snyder wrote:

> I have a box that _has_ to run 4.1.4 that lost a disk.  We have a
> recent backup of it.  I was lucky enough to find a 4.1.4 cd and
> do a label and newfs's on the replacement, but we apparently have a
> problem finding the netbackup client for an OS this old.  Is Solaris
> capable of mounting a 4.2 filesystem?  I always assumed ufs was a
> kind of mishmash of bsd and s51k.  Worst case, we could just restore
> to wherever and copy the binaries over to the 4.1.4 box.  Thoughts?

You can freely mount the same filesystem on either side, provided you
follow a few rules:

Filesystem must be smaller than 2GB (unless you have Online:Disksuite on
the SunOS 4 side).

Individual files must be smaller than 2GB (follows from the first one).

Don't use ufs logging on the filesystem when mounting it under Solaris
2+.

There may be others, but in general you should have no problems.  What
Solaris 2+ calls "ufs" and what SunOS 4 calls "4.2" are interchangable.
You could also restore onto almost any type of machine and move things
over by NFS if necessary.

BTW, has anyone written a script that automatically applies all of the
required and y2k patches for 4.1.4 to a virgin install?  I'd like to set
up a 4.1.4 box here (got rid of my last one a year ago) but the hand
patching will be a royal pain given the sheer quantity of patches.  Most
of them solve very minor issues but it would be nice to be up to date.

-James

--
James Lockwood
Guy on Summer Vacation (dot-com bombed)