[rescue] (no subject)

Ken Hansen rescue at sunhelp.org
Tue Aug 21 08:24:43 CDT 2001

On the topic of "modern upbringing", I once was on a
technical committe at Bellcore, and we were discussing
putting all our development servers under central IT
management (corp. directive), and there was this "kid"
in the group that just didn't get it...

We had a large file server that acted as our main
filesystem (it had one filesystem /bdfs - Big Damn
File System!) and ran Solaris (down deep).

For the first few meetings, he kept trying to get "an
account on the server", but the old admin kept
explaining it wasn't that kind of server.

Then he started asking questions about how big the
drives were, and were they IDE or what? This thing
used a "wall" of ST434000N drives (full-height, 5 1/4"
2.9 Gigs formatted) that were hot-swapable.

It was fun to watch the admin cringe everytime this
"kid" asked a question... His group used HP servers
(named after the lion king movie - mufassa, simba,
etc.), and he just thought he was hot-shit 'cause he
knew all about these computers - hell, he'd been
playing with them since high school, all the way back
when the 386 came out!

Age gives me an interesting perspective... ;^)

Joshua - this has nothing to do with you and the
questions you ask, *please* don't take it that way -
your comment just reminded me of that...

Ken

--- joshua d boyd <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 20, 2001 at 10:56:18PM -0400, Dave
> McGuire wrote:
> Maybe it is just my modern upbringing, but I still
> have trouble with not
> expecting machines of that size to have
> significantly more space.

=====