[rescue] (no subject)

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Aug 20 22:55:28 CDT 2001

On August 20, joshua d boyd wrote:
> >   [yes, STILL catching up on email]
>
> Hey, we are just glad that you didn't dump the load, keeping your
> knowledge and wisdom from us.

  Heh...flattery will get you everywhere.  Freak. ;)

> >   The arrays in question aren't exactly brand new, Josh.  Jeeze.  They
> > are only full of 4GB drives.
>
> I suppose that is feasible.  I'm sure you picked on on the fact that I'm
> not quite as classical as some people around here are.  For one thing, I

  1995 is hardly classical, man. ;)

> >    - six hours' worth of battery backup
> >      (full operation, not just cache power)
>
> Why so much?  Do people usually run Crays on that much backup?

  Heh, people usually run Crays with off-grid power.  But the arrays
in question weren't built by Cray, they were OEM'd from Maximum
Strategy, Inc.

> >   Don't poo-poo those arrays until you see their specs.
>
> Maybe it is just my modern upbringing, but I still have trouble with not
> expecting machines of that size to have significantly more space.

  Ok.  Think of it this way.  Only about one-third of one of those racks
is actually occupied by DISK DRIVES.  Does that make it easier to
swallow? ;)

  And about your modern upbringing...those boxes were built in 1995.
You weren't exactly in diapers, my friend. ;)

> Are those trays holding standard SCSI drives, BTW?

  They're all Seagate 15150WDs.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire