[rescue] Sun 3/60

Dave McGuire rescue at sunhelp.org
Thu Aug 16 14:51:00 CDT 2001

On August 16, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > He said "unbundled".  The native "cc" is bundled with the system, and
> > you have to have something to bootstrap GCC with...
>
> Oh, OK, yes he did.  But that doesn't explain why the bundled one didn't
> meet the "have source code for" requirement, only why the SunPRO-C might
> not have been suitable....

  The bundled one definite DID meet the "have source code for"
requirement.  I apologize if I was unclear about that.  We used gcc
becase we *preferrred* it over the regular Sun cc, not just because
source was available.

> having done a lot of work to benchmark many compilers in several
> scenarios it irks me when I can't understand/explain claims that go
> contrary to everything I've learned during the process....

  And I was thinking exactly the same thing.  But my "benchmarking" was
definitely much less "formal" than yours sounds like it was...ours was
a matter of "how many copies of pine and trn can the shell users run
on this Sun3/260 before it folds up".

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire